Recent Trier High School athletics legends received one other moment within the highlight on Friday night in front of a capability crowd in Winnetka.
The college honored the eight inductees of the fourth class of the Recent Trier Athletics Hall of Honor between games of a Recent Trier-Evanston basketball doubleheader, a sold-out event in Recent Trier’s first-year gymnasium.
The Hall of Honor recognizes individuals who made extraordinary contributions to the varsity’s athletics history. Recent Trier Athletic Director Augie Fontanetta said within the earlygoings of the Hall of Honor, it has been a difficult task, considering the Trevians’ extensive and decorated past.
Fontanetta’s point is supported by the resumes of Hall of Honor members. Some members began contributing to Recent Trier 60 or 70 years ago.
The Hall of Honor nominations are open to any non-student-athlete who made significant contributions to the department. Anyone can submit a nomination. While most selections are former coaches, this system can be open to friends of the department, akin to Nancy Schroeder, a 30-year administrative assistant for the athletic department.
Schroeder retired in 2013 after working for 3 athletic directors helping with schedules, transportation, communication and more. She told The Record on Friday night that when she received notice of her induction, via a phone call from Fontanetta, she was shocked.
In keeping with Fontanetta, Schroeder was beloved by students and coaches, and dealing with them was Schroeder’s favorite a part of the job, she said.
“It’s great. I’m really overwhelmed,” Schroeder said after the ceremony.
The opposite seven inductees were former Trevians coaches, all making their mark not only locally but additionally across the state and even within the nation.
Flo Malizola, the founding father of Recent Trier badminton, is inducted into the varsity’s Hall of Honor on Friday.
• Pete Burnside: A former Major League Baseball pitcher who taught kinetic wellness and coached cross country, basketball and baseball at Recent Trier for 25 years. Helped the boys basketball team finish second within the state in 1973 and coached Recent Trier West baseball for 10 seasons. Burnside’s sons, John (cross country/track) and Jim (girls soccer), carry on his coaching legacy at Recent Trier.
• Mary Jo Hanson Herzog Timmis: Generally known as “Timmy,” she got here to Recent Trier in 1968 and her girls tennis teams won 11 state trophies, including six state championships within the Nineteen Eighties, making her one of the successful highschool tennis coaches within the state’s history.
• Doug Chase: A former All-America college runner, Chase spent 33 years at Recent Trier, teaching social studies and training cross country and track. Chase’s teams won several conference and sectional championships and lots of Trevians advanced to the state finals under Chase’s watch.
• Jim McFadzean: One in all the founding fathers of Illinois preps lacrosse, McFadzean (a U.S. Navy veteran) founded Recent Trier’s lacrosse program and remained its head coach for 15 years. He also was a member of the football team’s coaching staff and, due to his frequent scouting of Evanston Township High School football, was awarded an honorary ETHS letter.
• Nancy Schroeder: An administrative assistant for 3 a long time, Schroeder was instrumental within the organization and efficiency of the athletics department. In keeping with the varsity, “her real look after the well-being of everyone within the athletic community created a positive and nurturing environment that fostered growth, teamwork, and sportsmanship.”
• John Cadwell: Cadwell worked at Recent Trier High School for greater than 40 years, teaching within the English department all that point and training softball for twenty-four years. He racked up 534 wins because the team’s head coach, to go together with 13 regional championships and three state trophies. He also assisted the women basketball and boys soccer programs.
• Flo Malizola: A kinetic wellness teacher and girls’s sports pioneer, she founded the Recent Trier West badminton program in 1967 and proceeded to gather seven state trophies, including 4 championships — the ultimate of which got here in her final season (1993).
• Gene Helfrich: A longtime assistant baseball and football coach, Helfrich served Recent Trier for 32 years and was on staff when in 2000 Recent Trier baseball won its first state championship.
The Record is a nonprofit, nonpartisan community newsroom that relies on reader support to fuel its independent local journalism.
Subscribe to The Record to fund responsible news coverage in your community.
Already a subscriber? You’ll be able to make a tax-deductible donation at any time.